Oh it’s not all peaches and cream.
For all of the amazing reasons we choose to live this wholesaling life [28 Reasons Why Wholesaling is the Greatest Job on Earth] there are more than a few that will test your resolve.
Your ability to power though these annoyances, which range from minor to “now you’re just pissing me off”, will foretell your longevity in our business.
Your resolve will be tested when:
- you tell the same product story, the same way, for hundreds (thousands) of appointments.
- you are asked if it’s OK if the advisor orders a dinner to go for their spouse.
- you’re called upon to donate 100 sleeves of golf balls because, “it will be great advertising for your firm.”
- you work your butt off to plan a killer portfolio/senior leader visit to your region – and your no show rate is over 50%.
- having just settled into and ramped up production in a recently cut territory, the firm announces new territory cuts.
- the advisor asks for $500 for a golf outing, and suggests that you don’t need to attend.
- operations is running seven days behind in processing – and it’s month end at your largest broker dealer.
- the advisor you have known as a million dollar producer for the last five years suddenly stops writing business – and won’t return your call.
- a COI registers an unfounded complaint against you with your boss.
- your connecting flight is missed, and it’s the last connecting flight of the day.
- you are sitting in the worst possible traffic and you’re late to see an elephant prospect.
- an advisor gets the wine list before you do, and places an order for a 1997 Napa Reserve Cabernet.
- you show up for a seminar, after driving two hours, and your audience totals four (4).
- fulfillment screws up a lit order (again) and you only have your iPad, your good looks and your charm for the big appointment.
- your internal partner is only good for aggressively waiting for the phone to ring.
- your boss only appears long enough to check a box that they have been in your region – once per year.
- your goal has gone up by 26% and your projected income when you hit that goal will be down by 12%.
- the hotel can’t seem to locate your reservation at 11 PM – and they’re sold out.
- key accounts has obligated you to a conference out of town the same day as your vacation is supposed to start.
- you have missed your spouse’s birthday for the fourth consecutive year.
- your five star, top decile, feature leading, press magnet product hits a speed bump – because it will.
Yes your resolve will be tested, and if we’re being real, there are remedies to these that will greatly minimize the frequency of many/most of them happening to you.
One of the hallmarks of a truly great wholesaler is their ability to weather all of these tests, play through the pain, and remain upbeat.