Are wholesalers focused on the wrong numbers?
Yes, dollars in the door – gross tonnage – is still the measurement of success for virtually most wholesalers.
But what if production is the wrong number to focus on every single day?
Unlike sales professions that control the end buyer, we only get to attempt to influence the intermediary.
That means we can’t walk away from a day’s work knowing that we sold a car, a container, or a house.
So, instead of obsessing about how much business we need to do daily, to meet our monthly goal and our annual goal, what about eating the elephant (your goal) in more bite size pieces?
You eat the elephant instead of the elephant eating you.
Try setting goals for:
- Number of appointments daily
- Number of appointments weekly
- Number of new prospects seen weekly
- Number of hypos or illustration run weekly
- Number of drop-ins attempted weekly
- Number of branch meetings weekly
- Number of social events weekly
- Number of referrals requested weekly
- Number of successful forward schedules completed weekly
- Number of thank you calls completed weekly
- Number of thanks you notes (email or snail-mail) completed weekly
- Number of client events scheduled monthly
This much is true: if you take care of the numbers then the numbers will take care of you.
So, if you diligently and thoughtfully goal set around these numbers – and hit these goals with regularity – the production will follow.
I have never seen it not.
Until the time when the production numbers fall in line, you get to celebrate success each and every time you meet or exceed these goals.
And celebrating success feels good.
And when you feel good, you do good.
Wholesaler Masterminds® Coaching clients are laser focused on meeting their activity goals, knowing that the production will always follow – why not learn more?