Once upon a time, a wholesaler was so hell bent on ‘unplugging’ from all things work (email, voice mail etc.) during his family vacation that he created more stress for himself.
In the search for the holy grail of ‘work life balance’ he experienced his worst holiday ever.
Instead of chasing the unicorn, what if there was a better solution?
Chris Johnson is the leading authority on small steps to healthy living.
As Founder/CEO of On Target Living, Chris is a highly respected expert and accomplished executive, who has spent over 30 years researching and building optimal health and performance programs for individuals and corporations. He is the architect of the Food Target® that shifts from counting calories to concentrating on the nutrient values of foods that guide healthy choices.
A trusted advisor to Fortune 100 executives, athletes, coaches and politicians, Chris’ On Target Living program helps them achieve work-life balance with proper rest, better nutrition, and increased performance and mental agility with proper exercise. Chris developed his well-versed perspective from his vast experience in consumer goods, health care and sports medicine. Today he travels the world inspiring and educating audiences, conducting leadership team retreats and personal consultations.
His latest book is On Target Living: Your Guide to a Life of Balance, Energy, and Vitality
Book Chris for your next event through Wholesaler Masterminds Speakers Bureau.
Increasing Performance Capacity
One question I receive on a regular basis “Is there such a thing as Work Life Balance”? My answer is no! It is more of an ebb & flow, a Ying and Yang—if one area of your life is being neglected the key is having the awareness to bring it back into balance?
As our world keeps speeding up it becomes more and more challenging to maintain Life Balance! Work, family, friends, me time, health, sleep, movement, community service, fun—the list is long and it is easy to get out of balance.
I have worked with organizations that believe working long hours, with little sleep, huge demands, and little time for anything other than work was looked upon as a badge of honor! I get it that times are tough and everyone is working hard, but my point is, how do you create better performance and have a better life? I don’t believe grinding people into dust is the best way to improve performance—as I like to say you can’t out work a broken lifestyle!
How do you become your best is a more interesting question?
Increasing Your Performance Capacity allows you to better at work, better at home, and become better in every aspect of your life. One of the challenges we face at On Target Living when working in the financial services industry is getting people to understand how essential having adequate Rest and Rejuvenation strategies are for increasing your performance capacity! If you are rested mentally and physically, well hydrated, and well fed, you will perform at a higher level. You will have more stamina, greater energy, mental toughness, critical thinking and your happiness index climbs! How do you improve your talent? More and more professional athletes are now spending as much time focusing on their rest and what they eat as on their workouts.
How Do You Increase Your Performance Capacity?
- Step One–Self-Awareness! Nothing can change until you recognize the need for change. Are you getting enough sleep? Have you gained weight? Are you taking more medications than you like? What is your energy like? Is it hard to stay focused throughout the day? Have you lost some of your drive? Are you eating poorly? Moving your body on a regular basis? Are you enjoying your life? Step One is the ability to recognize when you are getting out of balance!
- Step Two—What do you want? What do you truly want? More money? Success? Greater health? More energy? A better night’s sleep? Lose some weight? Greater relationships? Life Balance? Being your best? Get laser beam specific!
- Step Three—Finding Your Why? Your “WHY” is your desire, your need, it is your fuel for change to take place. Finding your WHY can be an ongoing process—it can be specific to you—but let me share with you a secret—anytime your WHY gets outside of you it becomes extremely powerful!
- Step Four—Building Habits! It is not what you know–it is what habits you develop and build into your lifestyle—these are essential for greater health, increased capacity, and greater performance! Building habits begins with developing a few new rituals—like drinking 10 ounces of water first thing in the morning! Having a 2-minute stretch and breathing break plugged into your day! Tossing the anti-inflammatories into the trash and replacing with nature’s pain reliever, cod liver oil! What do you want more of, and then build a daily ritual around it!
Here are a few lifestyle practices that will help you bring greater capacity and balance into your life!
- Breath Awareness
- Diaphragmatic Breathing
- Sleep—7 to 8 hours of restful sleep
- White Space—Planned Recovery
- Meditation—5 minutes each day
- Hydration—drinking half your body weight in ounces per day
- Superfoods—cod liver oil—spirulina/chlorella—frozen wheatgrass
- Upgrading—what easy upgrades can you make?
- Meal Patterning/Timing—fast 12-hours each night (7pm-7pm) 3-5 x week!
- Quantity—calories do count!
- Move your body daily!
- Posture/Body Alignment—stand tall—when moving pay attention to your posture!
- Dynamic Warm-Up/Foundation Exercises—this is an easy 5-8 minute daily movement plan that can change your life!
- Strength Training—Your Fountain of Youth
- Cardio—you can’t put exercise a poor diet—15-25 minutes is all you need!
- Fun/Play—try to find a movement program you enjoy!
Wishing you a life of Health & Happiness!
Written by Chris Johnson